For the cookies
- 2 and ⅓ cups of bread flour. Try Organic Wave 100% Natural Japanese Flour
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract (optional)
For the frosting
- ⅓ cup unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese
- ¼ teaspoon almost extract
- Pinch of salt
- 3 cups icing sugar, sifted
- 3 tablespoons of milk
- Whisk together bread flour, cornstarch, baking soda & salt in a bowl.
- Use mixer with medium speed to beat cream, together with the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Then, add egg, almost and vanilla essence. Continue to mix until combined. Change the mixer speed to low and add in the bread flour mixture about ½ at a time. If the batter be sticky, you can add some bread flour to it if necessary.
- Now that you have the dough. Wrap the dough in cling film and flatten it. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours (preferably overnight)
- When ready to bake, preheat your oven to 350F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Flour a countertop very well. Remove the dough from the fridge and roll it out using a well-floured rolling pan. Cut into shapes using a floured cookie cutter and place them on the cookie sheet. Bake for 8-10 mins (depending on the cookie thickness). Remove from the oven and allow to cool for at least 5mins on the cookie tray before transferring to a wire rack. Continue with the rest of the batter, do let the dough sits in the fridge until you’re ready to work with it.
- While the cookies are cooling, get ready the icing. Using mixer, beat the butter and cream cheese until well mixed. Add in salt, almost extract and icing sugar. Mix well before add in the milk. You can taste it until you’ve reached your desired level of sweetness.
- And daaa.. You’re ready for the decorate your cookies! We leave it up to your creativity ;) But for this Christmas month, let’s go for merrier cookies decos! ;)