Fa Gao 發粿 - Chinese Prosperity Cakes
Fa gao is a Chinese cupcake-like pastry, traditionally consumed during Chinese New Year or ancestor worship.
The name of the cake is a pun, “fa” means both prosperity/fortune and raised (leavened). These cakes are usually dyed bright colors, like pink and green, during the New Year.
Fa gao is lightly sweetened, fluffy in appearance but dense. The defining characteristic is the blossom or split top. The more the ‘petals’ have blossomed, the more prosperous you will be and the more luck you will obtain in the New Year.
130 ml of hot water
½ cup of Mamami Premium Organic Molasses Sugar
½ cup of Organic Wave Cake Flour
½ cup of rice flour
2 tsp of baking powder
Directions: 1. Start by bringing your steamer to a boil over high heat.
2. Dissolve the brown sugar in hot water.
3. In a mixing bowl, sift together the cake flour, rice flour and baking powder.
4. Add the brown sugar water to the dry ingredients. Whisk together until well combined.
5. Fit your molds with cupcake liners and pour the batter in until it almost reaches the top of the cupcake liner.
6. Place the fa gao into your boiling steamer and cover. Let it steam for 20 to 25 minutes. Don’t peek until your timer goes off.
7. Enjoy warm!